`Terror outfits in Pak share same goal`
Washington: Terror outfits in Pakistan, such as al Qaeda, Taliban and Lashkar-e-Taiba, have a strong alliance among themselves and they share a same goal, a former US intelligence official said.
"The alliance between al Qaeda leadership and Taliban leadership is very real and they are the same, they have the same goals. In fact, what is frightening is that the alliance between the Afghan Taliban, the Pakistan Taliban, who`s carrying out an attack as early, as late as yesterday in
Islamabad," Dennis Blair, former Director of National
"The LeT, which is carrying out attacks in India. All of that group, which is in the same region on the border between
Afghanistan and Pakistan, thinks it`s wonderful to blow up bombs in India, Pakistan, Afghanistan and the United States," Blair told `Charlie Rose` in an interview.
The terror groups trade logistics, transfer money and even bomb-makers, he said adding "so it really is a common effort that all of us have to undertake to put them out. And they are allied with each other."
"You cannot allow one to be secure because it`ll give aid and comfort and sanctuary to the others. So that`s why the Taliban and al Qaeda are part of the same problem, that`s why we have this Afghanistan-Pakistan strategy which tries to get them both," Blair asserted.
The former intelligence officer said Pakistan needs to have better governance in the regions close to Afghanistan to tackle the terror menace.
"So I don`t think we ought to be seduced by the idea that one military operation can solve this whole thing, it`s deeper than that," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured