Terrorist attacks kill 2,050 people in Pak last year: Report
Islamabad: A total of 2,050 people were killed and another 3,822 injured in over 1,500 terrorist attacks across Pakistan last year, according to a report issued by a leading rights body on Thursday.
The Human Rights Commission of Pakistan`s annual State of Human Rights report said over 100 Shia Hazaras were killed in Balochistan province alone during 2012.
At least 2,284 people died in ethnic, sectarian and political violence in Pakistan`s largest city of Karachi during the period.
A total of 87 people were listed as "missing" or detained without charge by security agencies. Of them, 72 people were subsequently traced or released by authorities, the report said.
"At least 72 bodies were found in Balochistan of individuals who had gone missing in previous months," HRCP co-chairperson Kamran Arif told a meeting at which the report was released.
The report also noted that there had been a decrease in US drone attacks on Pakistan`s restive tribal areas, with the number of missile strikes falling from 74 in 2011 to 48 in 2012.
"Estimates of casualties varied between 240 and 400," the report said.
Referring to major terrorist attacks, the report said hundreds of militants blew up the gates of a central prison in Bannu in March last year and succeeded in releasing 384 prisoners.
The report said a total of 583 people were killed and 853 injured in 213 incidents of sectarian attacks by terrorists or sectarian clashes.
In Karachi, at least six churches were attacked, two of them within a period of 10 days in October, it said.
The report also highlighted the condition of jails across the country.
There were a total of 75,444 prisoners in jails across the country, as against the authorised capacity of only about 44,600.
There were 1,289 juvenile prisoners in jails and an overwhelming majority of them was under trial.
Fifty-nine prisoners died in custody while another 81 were injured. Ten incidents of alleged torture of prisoners were reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof