Terrorist groups trying to destabilise Pakistan: Gates
Washington: The US has said the terrorist outfits based in the western part of Pakistan were trying to destabilise that country and not America`s presence in
"I don`t believe that the war in Afghanistan is destabilising to Pakistan. I think that what is destabilising to Pakistan, among other things, several terrorist
organisations in the northwestern part of Pakistan that are intent on destabilising Pakistan and overthrowing its government," US Defence Secretary Robert Gates said at a Congressional hearing.
Gates was responding to a question from Congressman John Garamendi.
"Does our war in Afghanistan destabilise Pakistan? And if so, what should we be doing about that problem in Pakistan?" he asked.
"I think our efforts combined with the Pakistani efforts on both sides of the border in fact help reduce that terrorist risk to the Pakistanis. I think that extreme economic problems are a huge factor in Pakistan," Gates said.
"So I don`t think our presence in Afghanistan is destabilising. In fact, I think it helps the Pakistanis long term," he argued.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan