The curious case of fake Taliban: Pakistani daily
Islamabad: A man who posed as a Taliban leader and hoodwinked his way into getting access to the corridors of power in Afghanistan and also got his bank balance hugely fattened has exposed how "the world`s best-funded and highly regarded intelligence outfits are capable of making royal blunders", a Pakistani daily has said.
Dawn in an editorial on Sunday said: "Though Pakistani law-enforcement agencies are often rightly criticised for their lack of attention to detail, even the world`s best-funded and highly regarded intelligence outfits are capable of making royal blunders."
"Consider the curious case of the fake Mullah Mansour. A man pretending to be the said mullah - a top-ranker in the Afghan Taliban supposedly close to Mullah Omar - was given full protocol as a Taliban negotiator by the Afghan government, even reportedly meeting President Karzai.”
"Now that the hoax has been exposed, the Afghans, British and Americans are all blaming each other for the fiasco."
The editorial said the man is actually a shopkeeper from Pakistan`s Quetta city.
"British eagerness to find a negotiated settlement to the Afghan impasse led to the faux mullah`s access to the Afghan corridors of power," it said.
"He (the fake Taliban leader) was flown to Kabul several times aboard NATO aircraft while the man`s bank balance was also sufficiently fattened - to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars - by western largesse."
Citing examples of other impostors, the daily pointed out that former American vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin took a call from two Canadian comedians, with one of them pretending to be French President Nicolas Sarkozy, in 2008.
"But though this and the instance of the fake mullah may appear comical, when premier western intelligence agencies - with their billion-dollar budgets - make blunders, the results can be disastrous."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump