‘Those terming Haqqanis asset for country do not represent Pak govt’
Islamabad: Pakistan Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar has said whoever considers terror outfit Haqqani network ``an asset for Pakistan`` could not be a representative of the Pakistani government.
Khar said this in response to a question being asked by the moderator of a discussion held by Asia Society in New York, who asked her about an interview given by Army Chief Ashfaq Parvez Kayani to the New York Times four years ago in which he allegedly stated that he considered the Haqqani network an "asset" for Pakistan.
The Nation quoted Khar, as saying that Kayani did not hold such opinions in the present circumstances.
Khar said there are almost three million Afghan refugees in the country, with the Haqqanis being one of them.
She added that 57,000 people cross over to Pakistan unchecked everyday, and when one of them attacks someone, it is Pakistan who gets blamed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead