Thousands throng on Karachi streets to mark Ashura
Karachi: Tens of thousands of people thronged the streets of Karachi on Friday to mark Ashura and took part in massive processions that passed off without any major incident in the presence of unprecedented security arrangements.
Thousands of policemen, women and the paramilitary rangers supervised the security arrangements as men, women and children dressed in black beat themselves with fists, knives and chains and recited prayers marking the 10th day of Muharram.
Last year, a bomb blast in the Ashura procession had killed around 50 and injured dozens as the mourners passed through the MA Jinnah road.
This year, the law enforcement agencies had sealed all the routes and by-lanes where the procession passed with helicopters also hovering above meet any eventuality.
"By the grace of God everything has gone smoothly today and our security arrangements have been successful," Sindh Home Minister Zulfiqar Mirza said.
The law enforcement agencies had ordered all shops and markets on MA Jinnah road to shut down for three days as part of the security arrangements made in view of the increasing terrorism threats from the banned Tehreek-e-Taliban and other militant outfits.
Ashura marks the end of the 10-day rituals to mourn the death of Hazrat Imam Hussein, the grandson of Prophet Mohammad.
Hazrat Imam Hussein was killed by armies of the caliph Yazid in 680 AD.
Tradition holds that he was decapitated and his body mutilated in the battle at Karbala, now in Iraq.
Shi’ites make up around 15 percent of Muslims worldwide.
They represent the majority populations in Iran, Iraq and Bahrain and form significant communities n Afghanistan, Lebanon, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt