Threat to Hasina`s life, warn intelligence agencies
Dhaka: Intelligence agencies at home and abroad have warned of a threat to the life of Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina that could take place between September and November, a media report said.
The intelligence agencies warned that simultaneous multiple sabotage might be carried out by "the anti-liberation war forces, in collaboration with an Indian separatist organisation and different local militant outfits", The Daily Star newspaper said.
Sources said that the warning came following information from different intelligence agencies at home and abroad that an attempt on the prime minister`s life might be carried out between this month and November.
The Hasina government has taken measures to neutralise Indian militant groups operating on Bangladeshi soil. It has detained and facilitated the hand-over of several top leaders of the United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA).
There have been several attempts on Hasina`s life in the past. Mahbubul Alam Hanif, a special assistant to the prime minister, said her life "is under threat at all times".
Indian intelligence agencies had warned of a threat to Hasina`s life in November 2008 when Bangladesh was preparing for the parliamentary elections.
A minister, who attended the weekly cabinet meeting and was quoted by the newspaper, said that Hasina herself alerted her cabinet colleagues that the opposition parties might try to "destabilise the country within the next couple of months" through violent protests and subversion.
She linked these attempts on her government holding the trial of "war criminals". Those who targeted unarmed civilians during the 1971 freedom movement are referred to as war criminals.
The top brass of the Bangladesh Jamaat-e-Islami, an Islamist ally of main opposition Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) of former prime minister Khaleda Zia, has been detained.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends