Three Afghan civilians killed at anti-NATO rally
Kabul: Insurgents opened fire on Afghan police at an anti-NATO rally in southern Afghanistan on Friday, sparking a gunbattle that killed three civilians and a police officer, officials said.
The Taliban fighters infiltrated the protest in the town of Qalat in the southern province of Zabul and shot dead a policeman, said provincial police chief Mohammad Nabi Ilham. The police responded by firing into the crowd of about 100 protesters gathered in the town bazaar, killing three civilians and wounding two others.
"Our police didn`t have any option but to fire back in self-defence," Ilham said. "When they fired back, the insurgents and the protesters ran from the area."
No arrests have been made.
The townspeople were protesting an overnight NATO operation that killed three suspected insurgents, including a local Taliban commander, Ilham said. The gunbattle broke out as policemen were taking the insurgents` bodies to the town morgue, he added.
Also, NATO said insurgents killed two alliance service members on Friday in southern Afghanistan.
The alliance provided no further details, or the nationality of those killed, but Britain`s Defence Ministry later said that insurgents shot and fatally injured one of its marines in Helmand province.
The deaths bring the number of coalition troops killed in Afghanistan this year to more than 320.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez