Three Americans killed in Afghan `insider attack`
London: Two US soldiers and an American civilian were killed Saturday in a possible "insider attack" in Afghanistan, BBC reported.
The NATO-led force said a man wearing an Afghan army uniform opened fire on the Americans in Paktika province, close to the border with Pakistan.
"An individual wearing ANA (Afghan National Army) uniform turned his weapon against the ISAF service members," an ISAF statement said.
"Today was a very difficult day for ISAF," spokesman Brig. Gen. Guenter Katz said.
In a separate attack, an Italian soldier died in Farah province in the west.
The coalition said the soldier was killed "during an attack by an enemy of Afghanistan".
It was an "insurgent attack", rather than an insider incident, ISAF said.
The Italian defence ministry said the soldier was killed by "hostile elements" and three more were wounded.
A Lynx vehicle was attacked at 10.30 a.m. as it was returning to base after training Afghan security forces, BBC said.
Reports said a grenade was thrown at the vehicle by a man wearing an Afghan army uniform.
The dead soldier was named as Giuseppe La Rosa, a 31-year-old member of the Third Bersaglieri Regiment.
If the attacker in Paktika is confirmed to be a member of the Afghan army, Saturday`s incident will be the fifth insider attack in the country since the beginning of this year.
Four American and one British soldier and a civilian contractor of the ISAF have been killed in four insider attacks this year, Xinhua reported.
In 2012, more than 45 such incidents took place, killing 60 foreign soldiers across the country.
Saturday`s deaths have brought to 85 the number of foreign soldiers killed in Afghanistan since January.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks