Three children killed in Pakistan grenade blast
Karachi: Three children were killed and 12 others injured today when unknown persons lobbed a hand grenade on them near a religious seminary here, police in this southern Pakistani port city said.
The blast in the city`s SITE area killed the students aged between 8 and 12 of the Jamia Masjid Tahiri mosque, belonging to the majority Sunni sect.
"Initial investigations show that the blast was caused by hand grenades thrown by unknown persons," police official Tahir Zaman said.
"They were between 15 to 20 children present in the seminary when the hand grenades were thrown," he said.
However, another senior police official Javed Odho said the explosion could have been caused by a planted device.
He said the 12 injured, mostly children, were shifted to hospital for treatment. A doctor said the condition of four children was critical.
Karachi, with a population of 18 million, has witnessed a spate of attacks after the Tehreek-e-Taliban announced they would not be extending their ceasefire agreement with the government.
The TTP spokesman, however, had said no public places would be attacked.
Last week a senior police official, Shafiq Tanoli was killed with three others in a bomb attack near his residence in the city while a blast near a mosque in Karachi`s Delhi Colony killed six people and left scores injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore