Three Italian soldiers killed in Afghanistan car crash
Rome: Three Italian soldiers were killed in
Afghanistan on Monday when their armoured jeep overturned in a
river in Herat province as it raced to the rescue of another
unit, Italy`s defence ministry said.
The Italian-made VTLM Lince vehicle "flipped over in the
river, trapping the soldiers inside," read the statement. It
said the accident happened some 20 kilometres southwest of
Shindand in western Afghanistan.
The soldiers -- all of them based in Shindand -- had been
trying to rescue another unit "blocked by particularly adverse
The website of La Repubblica daily said a fourth soldier
In September, three Italian soldiers involved in the
training of Afghan forces were killed in a road accident that
also occurred in Herat.
Italy has deployed 3,800 soldiers as part of NATO`s
International Security Assistance Force. A total 47 Italian
soldiers have been killed or died in accidents in Afghanistan,
according to a calculation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data