Three Italian soldiers killed in Afghanistan car crash
Rome: Three Italian soldiers were killed in
Afghanistan on Monday when their armoured jeep overturned in a
river in Herat province as it raced to the rescue of another
unit, Italy`s defence ministry said.
The Italian-made VTLM Lince vehicle "flipped over in the
river, trapping the soldiers inside," read the statement. It
said the accident happened some 20 kilometres southwest of
Shindand in western Afghanistan.
The soldiers -- all of them based in Shindand -- had been
trying to rescue another unit "blocked by particularly adverse
The website of La Repubblica daily said a fourth soldier
In September, three Italian soldiers involved in the
training of Afghan forces were killed in a road accident that
also occurred in Herat.
Italy has deployed 3,800 soldiers as part of NATO`s
International Security Assistance Force. A total 47 Italian
soldiers have been killed or died in accidents in Afghanistan,
according to a calculation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report