Three killed in attacks in northwest Pakistan
Islamabad: Three persons were killed and over 20 others injured in three terrorist attacks, including a suicide bombing and a blast outside the home of a provincial minister, in northwest Pakistan on Tuesday.
A suicide bomber targeted a police van in Bannu town of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province, killing two policemen and injuring 18 others, officials and witnesses said. The van was destroyed by the blast.
The bomber, who was reportedly riding a motorcycle, detonated his explosives near Saddar police station in Bannu, which has witnessed numerous attacks by militants in the past few years.
Several policemen and passers-by were among the injured. Witnesses said the blast was followed by firing. Seven persons were injured in a blast that occurred 200 feet from the home of Mian Iftikhar Hussain, the Information Minister for Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, in Pabbi town.
Hussain, an outspoken critic of the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan who has received several death threats, was not at home at the time of the blast. A group of labourers was engaged in some construction work near Hussain`s home when the low-intensity bomb exploded.
Several labourers and passers-by were among the injured. Police said the bomb was hidden in a pile of gravel being used to build a roadside drain and footage on television showed the blast had created a crater.
Hussain, a top leader of the province`s ruling Awami National Party, was in the provincial capital of Peshawar at the time of the blast near his home.
The minister`s only son was gunned down by the Taliban in Pabbi in July 2010. Days later, a Taliban suicide bomber targeted Hussain`s home and killed nine persons.
In the third blast, a bomb disposal squad personnel was killed while defusing a bomb on the outskirts of Peshawar, officials said.
No group claimed responsibility for the attacks though such incidents are usually blamed on the banned Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read