Three killed in attacks in northwest Pakistan
Islamabad: Three persons were killed and over 20 others injured in three terrorist attacks, including a suicide bombing and a blast outside the home of a provincial minister, in northwest Pakistan on Tuesday.
A suicide bomber targeted a police van in Bannu town of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province, killing two policemen and injuring 18 others, officials and witnesses said. The van was destroyed by the blast.
The bomber, who was reportedly riding a motorcycle, detonated his explosives near Saddar police station in Bannu, which has witnessed numerous attacks by militants in the past few years.
Several policemen and passers-by were among the injured. Witnesses said the blast was followed by firing. Seven persons were injured in a blast that occurred 200 feet from the home of Mian Iftikhar Hussain, the Information Minister for Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, in Pabbi town.
Hussain, an outspoken critic of the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan who has received several death threats, was not at home at the time of the blast. A group of labourers was engaged in some construction work near Hussain`s home when the low-intensity bomb exploded.
Several labourers and passers-by were among the injured. Police said the bomb was hidden in a pile of gravel being used to build a roadside drain and footage on television showed the blast had created a crater.
Hussain, a top leader of the province`s ruling Awami National Party, was in the provincial capital of Peshawar at the time of the blast near his home.
The minister`s only son was gunned down by the Taliban in Pabbi in July 2010. Days later, a Taliban suicide bomber targeted Hussain`s home and killed nine persons.
In the third blast, a bomb disposal squad personnel was killed while defusing a bomb on the outskirts of Peshawar, officials said.
No group claimed responsibility for the attacks though such incidents are usually blamed on the banned Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in