Three killed in ethnic violence in B`desh
Dhaka: At least three people were killed
today in ethnic violence between tribal people and Bengali
settlers over decades-long land dispute in Bangladesh`s
southeastern Khagrachhari hill district.
Khagrachhari hill district in the Chittagong Hill
Tracts (CHT) witnessed violence between Bengali-speaking
settlers and ethnic minority groups over land possessions,
leaving three people dead, officials said.
"The violence was sparked apparently over possession
of the land....the situation forced us to order a curfew,
Mohammad Zahir, the assistant police superintendent, told PTI.
He said armed police backed by army troops were sent
to the remote area within hours after the violence that also
injured at least 30 people.
The authorities have imposed a curfew for indefinite
period in three sub-districts of Khagrachari amid fears of
escalation of clashes between the Bengali-speaking settlers
and the Chakmas, who are mainly Buddhist.
Three Bengali-speaking settlers were killed in the
violence at the remote Barapilak area of Ramgargh
According to sources, some 40 houses of the two
communities were set on fire during the clash, the second in a
year over the land possession dispute.
According a media report, a group of Chakma people
attacked the settlers when they were ploughing disputed land
Tribal outfit United Peoples Democratic Front (UPDF)
issued a statement in then evening claiming the "rehabilitated
Bengalis" set on fire at least 30 Chakma houses with an
"intension" to drive out the tribesmen from their land.
It also claimed several of the Chakma men were
critically injured during the attack.
"The entire hill region witnesses tension when both
Bengalis and tribesmen start cultivation of land," police
official Zahir said.
Several people were also killed in February last year
in ethnic violence at remote Sajek Valley of Khagrachhari.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India