Three killed in grenade attack in Pakistan
Karachi: Twin grenade attacks in Pakistan`s biggest city on the eve of the country`s Independence Day left at least three persons dead and over 40 injured.
A woman and a child were killed and dozens were injured when unknown miscreants on a motorcycle threw hand grenades inside the Aga Khan Jamaat-Khana (prayer house) in Karachi`s Ayesha Manzil area on Tuesday.
Shortly afterwards, miscreants also lobbed hand grenades at another Jamaat-Khaana in Metroville area.
"They were two explosions at Ayesha Manzil and they caused more damage because prayers were taking place in the Jamaat Khaana and there was a large number of people present there," a police official said.
Following the explosion, extra contingents of law enforcers including Rangers and police reached the site and cordoned off the entire area.
An official of the bomb disposal squad at the bomb site said the hand grenades appeared to be of Russian-origin and contained 200 grammes of explosive material and ball bearings.
This is the first time that militants have attacked prayer houses of the peaceful Ismaili community in Karachi.
Police also reported explosions in Hyderabad and Nawabshah.
A police official said that the miscreants had thrown hand grenades at stalls selling Pakistan flags for Independence day celebrations.
"One person was killed in Hyderabad," a rescue official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre