Three killed in Karachi prayer hall blast
Karachi: At least three persons were killed and 16 more injured when a bomb went off outside a Shia imambargah (prayer hall) in the southern Pakistani port city of Karachi on Sunday, police and witnesses said.
The blast occurred near the imambargah in Abbas Town area of Pakistan`s largest city.
The explosion, which was heard from several kilometres away, damaged several nearby buildings, witnesses said.
Three persons were killed instantly, witnesses told the media. The injured were taken to nearby hospitals, where an emergency was declared.
A `majlis` or religious gathering had been organised at the imambargah at the time of the blast.
Witnesses said the bomb was hidden in a motorcycle that was parked near the imambargah earlier in the day.
The witnesses said the blast was followed by intense firing in the area.
The blast also snapped the power supply, plunging the area into darkness and affecting rescue operations.
No group claimed responsibility for the attack.
The explosion occurred despite extensive security arrangements put in place for the Islamic month of Muharram, which has often been marked by attacks on the Shia minority in the past.
Soon after the blast angry protesters took to the streets and started pelting stones on passing vehicles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India