Three men killed in tribal animosity over wedding video in Pak
Islamabad: Six months after a jirga in northern Pakistan called for action against a group of men and women purportedly seen dancing in a video, three brothers of one of the men have been killed by the women`s tribe, a provincial minister has said.
Three brothers of Mohammad Afzal, who was at the centre of a controversy over the video in June last year, were shot dead and another man was injured in an attack in Kohistan district on Thursday.
Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa Information Minister Mian Iftikhar Hussain said the three slain men were buried after an autopsy was performed on their bodies.
He said 18 people had been booked in an FIR registered following the murders and police had been directed to arrest the killers at any cost.
The emergence of the video showing men and women clapping and dancing at a wedding in Kohistan, 175 km from Islamabad, caused a major controversy last year.
Subsequently, a jirga sentenced four women and two men to death for allegedly featuring in the video.
Mohammad Afzal, a member of the Salakhel tribe, alleged that the four women shown in the video had been killed. This sparked an enmity between the Salakhel and Suramkhel tribes.
Supreme Court Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry took notice of the incident after protests by civil society and rights groups.
He formed an inquiry commission headed by a judge and members of the panel went to Kohistan and met some of the women shown in the video.
Subsequently, the apex court disposed off the case.
The two men shown in the video were released from jail a few weeks ago.
Local residents told the media that the enmity between the Salakhel and Suramkhel tribes was unlikely to end until the two men shown in the video were killed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!