Three months extension for Nepal Parliament
Kathmandu: Averting a major constitutional
crisis, Nepalese lawmakers on Monday approved the extension of the
term of the interim parliament by three months as the House is
yet to fulfill its original mandate to draft a new
constitution and conclude the landmark 2006 peace process.
Bijay Kumar Gachhadar, the new Deputy Prime Minister and
Home Minister, tabled the 10th Amendment Bill of Interim
Constitution, seeking a three-month extension of the
Constituent Assembly, which acts as the interim parliament.
The parliament, which was formed in 2008 after a popular
election, has failed to fulfill its main function to conclude
the peace process and draft a new constitution though its term
was extended twice, the latest on May 29 which is set expire
on August 31.
The previous CPN-UML-led coalition under Jhala Nath
Khanal had also decided on a three-month extension of the
Maoist ideologue Baburam Bhattarai, who was sworn in as
Nepal`s new Prime Minister today, faces the twin challenge of
integrating and rehabilitating over 19,000 former Maoist
guerrillas and preparing the first Constitution, two major
conditions of the peace deal which ended a decade-long civil
war that killed some 16,000 people.
The extension motion was endorsed by a majority vote in
the Parliament, according to Rajendra Mahato, president of
Terai-based Sadbhawana Party, a key ally of the Maoist-led
Except for the pro-monarchist Rastriya Prajatantra Party
(Nepal), which has four seats in the Parliament, all other
parties voted in favour of the extension.
Bhattarai, the 57-year-old Jawaharlal Nehru University
scholar has underlined his determination to work to complete
the fragile peace process within six months and form a
national unity government to bring political stability in the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead