Three Mujib killers appeal for Presidential clemency
Dhaka: Three of the five ex-army officers,
awarded death sentence for the 1975 assassination of
Bangladesh founder Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, today appealed for
clemency to the President.
Bazlul Huda, Mohiuddin Ahmed and AKM Mohiuddin have sent
their appeals to the jail authorities to seek Presidential
clemency, Inspector General of Prisons Brig Gen Md Ashraful
Islam Khan said.
However, Syed Faruque Rahman and Sultan Shahriar Rashid
Khan -- the other two convicts, have not submitted their
appeals but have said that their lawyers would submit
petitions for review of the Supreme Court judgement, he was
quoted as saying by the media here.
On January 3, Dhaka`s District and Sessions Judge
Mohammad Abdul Gafur signed the death warrants of five of the
12 convicts, paving way for their execution.
According to the law, death convicts can seek
Presidential clemency within seven days of issuing warrants.
The Appellate Division of Supreme Court in November had
upheld death sentences of the five convicts in the
assassination of Mujib in a 1975 military putsch that left 28
Six convicted officers are currently on the run while one
has already died.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’