Three NATO soldiers killed in Afghanistan: ISAF
Kabul: Three NATO soldiers were killed
when their patrol was struck by a bomb in southern Afghanistan
and then ambushed by insurgents, the alliance force said
Yesterday`s killings exacerbate a bloody start to
the month for international troops helping quell an extremist
insurgency, with 15 others killed so far, according to
icasualties.org, which compiles a toll.
"The patrol responded to the attack but three
service members died in the engagement," the International
Security Assistance Force said in a statement.
ISAF did not give the nationalities of the dead,
leaving this to their home countries. Most soldiers in the
south, an insurgent hotbed, are American, British or Canadian.
Thousands of US Marines poured into the south
earlier this year to try to secure militant strongholds ahead
of August 20 presidential and provincial council elections.
British troops have been under pressure in southern
Helmand province, hub of a drugs trade that helps fund the
Last month was the deadliest for foreign troops in
Afghanistan since the 2001 US-led invasion forced the
extremist Taliban regime from power for sheltering Al-Qaeda
following the September 11 attacks.
Most of the 76 deaths were in hostile attacks, the
independent icasualties said.
There are more than 100,000 international soldiers
in Afghanistan, including 62,000 Americans, according to
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday