Three NATO soldiers killed in Afghanistan: ISAF
Kabul: Three NATO soldiers were killed
when their patrol was struck by a bomb in southern Afghanistan
and then ambushed by insurgents, the alliance force said
Yesterday`s killings exacerbate a bloody start to
the month for international troops helping quell an extremist
insurgency, with 15 others killed so far, according to
icasualties.org, which compiles a toll.
"The patrol responded to the attack but three
service members died in the engagement," the International
Security Assistance Force said in a statement.
ISAF did not give the nationalities of the dead,
leaving this to their home countries. Most soldiers in the
south, an insurgent hotbed, are American, British or Canadian.
Thousands of US Marines poured into the south
earlier this year to try to secure militant strongholds ahead
of August 20 presidential and provincial council elections.
British troops have been under pressure in southern
Helmand province, hub of a drugs trade that helps fund the
Last month was the deadliest for foreign troops in
Afghanistan since the 2001 US-led invasion forced the
extremist Taliban regime from power for sheltering Al-Qaeda
following the September 11 attacks.
Most of the 76 deaths were in hostile attacks, the
independent icasualties said.
There are more than 100,000 international soldiers
in Afghanistan, including 62,000 Americans, according to
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know