Three rockets fired into heart of Kabul: Official
Kabul: Three rockets were fired into the heart of Kabul, with one landing close to the presidential palace, a spokesman said.
The attacks came before the rush-hour on Saturday morning when the city was almost empty and caused no casualties, Interior Ministry spokesman Zemarai Bashary said.
One of the rockets landed near the river a few hundred metres (yards) from the presidential compound and other ministries, and two rockets hit a mixed residential and market area.
"Three rockets were fired into the city this morning. One hit the bank of the river... but luckily they caused no casualty or damage," Bashary said.
The rockets were launched from the eastern edge of the city, he said blaming the attack on the "enemies of Afghanistan", a term often used to refer to the Taliban militants who are waging a bloody insurgency against the government and western troops.
Homemade roadside bombs -- the main cause of casualties to Afghan and NATO troops in Afghanistan -- and suicide attacks are the weapons of choice for the militants, but they are also known to fire rockets into civilian and military areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bodos, ex-militants hail Modi govt for giving ST status to Bodo-Kacharis in Assam's hill districts
- South Korean navy fires warning shots after North incursion
- Trump lays claim to Republican presidential nomination
- Rights activist Trupti Desai alleges attack by goons in Nashik, hospitalised
- CHSE Odisha +2 Result (CHSE result 2016) Exam Results 2016 likely to be declared shortly. Check chseodisha.nic.in, orissaresults.nic.in