Three soldiers killed, 11 hurt in suicide attack in PoK
Islamabad: A suicide bomber struck an army
barrack in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir on Wednesday, killing at least
three soldiers and wounding 11 more in the latest in a wave of
terrorist attacks across the country.
The bomber targeted the barracks close to an army
hospital at Tararkhal, over 90 km from PoK capital
Muzaffarabad, police said.
Part of the barracks was destroyed by the blast.
There were about 35 soldiers in the facility at the time
of the attack this morning. Three soldiers were killed
instantly and 11 more injured.
The wounded were taken to the army hospital.
Police said the bomber detonated his explosives after
guards stopped him at the gate of the barracks.
Over 600 people have died in bombings and suicide attacks
across Pakistan since October, when the army launched a major
operation against the Taliban in their stronghold of South
In recent weeks, the violence has spread to PoK, which
was largely unaffected by militant attacks over the years.
Last month, 10 people were killed when a suicide bomber
struck a Shia procession in Muzaffarabad.
Two soldiers were killed when a bomber carried out the
first suicide attack in PoK in June last year.
Reports have said that several banned groups, including
the Jaish-e-Mohammed and Lashker-e-Toiba, have stepped up
their activities in PoK over the past year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly