Three soldiers killed, 11 hurt in suicide attack in PoK
Islamabad: A suicide bomber struck an army
barrack in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir on Wednesday, killing at least
three soldiers and wounding 11 more in the latest in a wave of
terrorist attacks across the country.
The bomber targeted the barracks close to an army
hospital at Tararkhal, over 90 km from PoK capital
Muzaffarabad, police said.
Part of the barracks was destroyed by the blast.
There were about 35 soldiers in the facility at the time
of the attack this morning. Three soldiers were killed
instantly and 11 more injured.
The wounded were taken to the army hospital.
Police said the bomber detonated his explosives after
guards stopped him at the gate of the barracks.
Over 600 people have died in bombings and suicide attacks
across Pakistan since October, when the army launched a major
operation against the Taliban in their stronghold of South
In recent weeks, the violence has spread to PoK, which
was largely unaffected by militant attacks over the years.
Last month, 10 people were killed when a suicide bomber
struck a Shia procession in Muzaffarabad.
Two soldiers were killed when a bomber carried out the
first suicide attack in PoK in June last year.
Reports have said that several banned groups, including
the Jaish-e-Mohammed and Lashker-e-Toiba, have stepped up
their activities in PoK over the past year.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference