Three soldiers killed, 11 hurt in suicide attack in PoK
Islamabad: A suicide bomber struck an army
barrack in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir on Wednesday, killing at least
three soldiers and wounding 11 more in the latest in a wave of
terrorist attacks across the country.
The bomber targeted the barracks close to an army
hospital at Tararkhal, over 90 km from PoK capital
Muzaffarabad, police said.
Part of the barracks was destroyed by the blast.
There were about 35 soldiers in the facility at the time
of the attack this morning. Three soldiers were killed
instantly and 11 more injured.
The wounded were taken to the army hospital.
Police said the bomber detonated his explosives after
guards stopped him at the gate of the barracks.
Over 600 people have died in bombings and suicide attacks
across Pakistan since October, when the army launched a major
operation against the Taliban in their stronghold of South
In recent weeks, the violence has spread to PoK, which
was largely unaffected by militant attacks over the years.
Last month, 10 people were killed when a suicide bomber
struck a Shia procession in Muzaffarabad.
Two soldiers were killed when a bomber carried out the
first suicide attack in PoK in June last year.
Reports have said that several banned groups, including
the Jaish-e-Mohammed and Lashker-e-Toiba, have stepped up
their activities in PoK over the past year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state