Three Spanish climbers missing in Pakistan are feared dead
Islamabad: Three Spanish mountaineers who went missing in northern Pakistan are presumed dead, officials and their colleagues said on Saturday.
Manzoor Hussain of the Pakistan Alpine Club said two surviving members of the Spanish expedition, which was trying to summit Gasherbrum I in the Karakorum range near the Chinese border, have informed Pakistan officials that their missing comrades are "dead by now".
They were part of a five-member team and lost contact with their colleagues on Monday while descending the peak.
"After losing contact with them on the morning of July 22 and given the adverse conditions at (high) altitude in the following days, we made one more flight search that confirmed our worst fears: the three have died," the surviving climbers said in a statement issued to Spanish media.
Initially, four climberS were reported missing but one of them returned to base camp while the others were apparently caught in a snow storm, Hussain said.
Last week, Pakistan authorities abandoned the search for three Iranian climbers who went missing while trying to summit Broad Peak in the same region.
Officials said the Iranians too are "presumed dead".
The year has been particularly hard for foreign climbers in Pakistan.
Last month, 10 of them were killed by militants in the base camp of Nanga Parbat.
A German woman trekker also died two weeks ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi