Tight security across Pakistan for Eid-ul-Azha
Islamabad/Karachi: Authorities beefed up security across Pakistan to ensure the peaceful celebration of Eid-ul-Azha even as law enforcers averted a terror attack in the port city of Karachi on Tuesday by defusing three bombs found near a mosque.
Tens of thousands of police and paramilitary personnel have been deployed for security duties across the country as people prepared to celebrate Eid tomorrow under the shadow of terror attacks that have killed dozens in recent weeks.
Police claimed they had averted a major terrorist attack ahead of Eid by defusing three bombs found near a mosque at Sohrab Goth area of Karachi.
Officials said the bombs could be fired from a gun or thrown by hand. The bomb disposal squad took the bombs to a nearby police station and defused them.
The bombs were hidden in bushes a short distance from the mosque. Police said a trash collector spotted them and alerted authorities. "Apparently they were hidden there to carry out some sort of terrorist attack on Eid or during Eid prayers," a senior police official said.
In the Islamabad Capital Territory, 875 policemen and 15 teams of Anti-Terrorism Force commandos were deployed to guard 685 mosques and 40 Shia imambargahs.
Besides the security personnel, 1,140 private guards will be deployed for security outside mosques and imambargahs, state-run Radio Pakistan reported.
Police pickets have been set up at key points in Islamabad to ensure effective checking. Special police deployment will be made at Faisal Mosque, where most VVIPs offer Eid prayers, and walk-through gates and scanners will be installed as part of security measures.
In Punjab province, police were put on high alert to cope
with any incident during the Eid holidays. All leaves have been cancelled for security personnel during the Eid holidays. Police training schools and colleges too will remain open.
Over 60,000 police personnel will be deployed at sensitive areas, including markets, mosques, seminaries, government buildings and cattle markets.
Sindh Chief Minister Qaim Ali Shah directed provincial police chief Shahid Nadeem Baloch to ensure foolproof security at all places of worship, eidgahs and shopping centres.
In Peshawar, which bore the brunt of recent terror attacks, police were ordered to be on high alert. The entry of motorcycles and vehicles in crowded markets was banned and plainclothes policemen were deployed in sensitive areas and shopping centres.
The Balochistan government has given police powers for one month to the paramilitary Frontier Corps. The powers were granted because of deteriorating law and order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!