TNA for positive conclusion to talks with SL govt
Colombo: Sri Lanka`s main Tamil party TNA
has said it wants to see a "positive conclusion" to the
current dialogue with the government to address grievances of
the minority ethnic community.
Amid criticism that the Tamil National Alliance (TNA) had
been going slow in addressing the issues of Tamil minority,
party leader Rajavayothi Sampanthan said it was not possible
for the TNA to come out with all details on the ongoing talks
with the government.
But, he said his party was "keen to move ahead with the
talks to see a positive conclusion".
The Bishop of northeastern Mannar, Rayappu Joseph in
a letter to the TNA had found fault with the TNA for its
seeming lack of interest to press ahead with the government on
various contentious issues like.
Sampanthan said that he had replied to the Bishop
that all issues important to the Tamils would be taken up at
the future rounds of talks.
The TNA and the government have held 18 rounds of
talks so far.
At the last round their demands for police and land
powers to provincial councils were rejected by the
government. The government has at all times maintained that
police powers cannot be granted.
The demands have queered the pitch for talks.
President Mahinda Rajapaksa had asked the TNA should drop
its LTTE mentality and refrain from making rigid demands.
The government is averse to conferring the police
and land powers to the provincial councils even though the
subjects have been listed as provincial council subjects in
the devolution of powers outlined in the thirteenth amendment
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Strike of auto and taxi unions against app-based cab services in Delhi ends
- Bihar flood toll rises to 22; 17 lakh people in 10 districts affected
- VIDEO! History-maker Kusal Mendis hits six to complete his century against Australia
- ISRO rocket launch postponed in wake of missing IAF aircraft search!
- What a talent! 'Kar chale hum fida' patriotic song by this street singer will give you goosebumps - WATCH