Top Afghan official defects to Taliban
Kabul: A former Afghan lawmaker and district governor has defected to the Taliban in the northern province of Sar-e-Pol, officials said on Thursaday.
Qazi Abdul Hai served as a senator during 2004-08 and was later made a district governor in Sar-e-Pol.
Hai is believed to have defected to the Taliban with two bodyguards.
He is thought to be the highest ranking Afghan civilian official to have joined the Taliban, the BBC reported.
The deputy governor of Sar-e-Pol province said he did not know why Hai had defected.
The move came against the backdrop of foreign combat forces preparing to withdraw from Afghanistan in 2014 and ahead of elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE