Top Afghan official defects to Taliban
Kabul: A former Afghan lawmaker and district governor has defected to the Taliban in the northern province of Sar-e-Pol, officials said on Thursaday.
Qazi Abdul Hai served as a senator during 2004-08 and was later made a district governor in Sar-e-Pol.
Hai is believed to have defected to the Taliban with two bodyguards.
He is thought to be the highest ranking Afghan civilian official to have joined the Taliban, the BBC reported.
The deputy governor of Sar-e-Pol province said he did not know why Hai had defected.
The move came against the backdrop of foreign combat forces preparing to withdraw from Afghanistan in 2014 and ahead of elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH