Top Afghan official defects to Taliban
Kabul: A former Afghan lawmaker and district governor has defected to the Taliban in the northern province of Sar-e-Pol, officials said on Thursaday.
Qazi Abdul Hai served as a senator during 2004-08 and was later made a district governor in Sar-e-Pol.
Hai is believed to have defected to the Taliban with two bodyguards.
He is thought to be the highest ranking Afghan civilian official to have joined the Taliban, the BBC reported.
The deputy governor of Sar-e-Pol province said he did not know why Hai had defected.
The move came against the backdrop of foreign combat forces preparing to withdraw from Afghanistan in 2014 and ahead of elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez