Top Chinese diplomat on visit to Nepal
Kathmandu: China`s top diplomat arrived here on Monday leading a delegation on an official visit to Nepal amid reports the two countries will step up security cooperation.
State Councilor Yang Jiechi is leading the delegation on the two-day visit.
Yang is China`s highest-ranking diplomat, a post akin to National Security Advisor.
The Chinese delegation is scheduled to meet Nepal`s Foreign Minister and Home Minister Madhav Ghimire.
Yang is also scheduled to call on Chairman of Interim Election Government Khil Raj Regmi and Vice President Paramananda Jha tomorrow, according to sources at the Council of Ministers.
As per media reports here, two agreements will be signed during his visit ? one with Nepal`s Election Commission, where China will provide NRs 155.50 million for Nepal`s Constituent Assembly polls in November.
Another agreement will be signed to set up an Armed Police Force (APF) training academy, where China has agreed to grant NRs 3.06 billion.
During his visit to Nepal last year, former Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao had exchanged notes on Chinese assistance in building the police academy..
Earlier today, the Chinese Foreign Ministry in Beijing praised Nepal for curbing Tibetan "separatist forces" on its soil.
Yang is also scheduled to open the Kathmandu Ring Road Improvement Project tomorrow.
Yang is the highest-ranking foreign dignitary to visit Nepal after the formation of the Interim Election Government in March.
Yang will also meet leaders of major political parties and discuss the latest political situation in Nepal.
China`s support base in Nepal has expanded after UCPN-Maoist led by Prachanda came to power.
Prachanda was one of the early visitors to Beijing this year after the once-in-a-decade leadership change in China and he had met new Chinese President Xi Jinping and other top leaders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader