Top LeJ commander arrested in Pakistan
Karachi: A top commander of the banned Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, who was allegedly involved in the murder of American journalist Daniel Pearl, was arrested today in this Pakistani city.
Paramilitary Rangers arrested Qari Abdul Hayee, the former president of Lashkar-e-Jhangvi`s (LeJ) Sindh chapter, during a raid in the city.
A source in the Rangers said that Hayee was wanted in several cases, including the murder of Pearl in 2002.
"He was first arrested in 2003 from Multan over his suspected involvement in planning and carrying out the kidnapping and murder of Pearl," the source said.
Hayee was also allegedly involved in helping another LEJ militant Riaz Basra escape from the Lahore sessions court in 1994.
The source said Rangers shifted Hayee to an undisclosed location for interrogation.
The Rangers have been carrying out targeted operations in Pakistan`s biggest city since a series of bomb blasts killed hundreds in Karachi and the provincial capital city of Baluchistan province, Quetta in January and March.
Both blasts targeted the minority Shia community killing more than 190 people. The LeJ had claimed responsibility for the Quetta blast and had threatened to exterminate all Shias.
Following the attack, LeJ leader Malik Ishaq and his son Malik Muhammad Usman were detained for a month.
Several other members of the banned outfit were also arrested during separate raids.
The source said that a black warrant was also issued in January 1994 against Hayee for his involvement in murder cases and at one point his capture carried a bounty of two million rupees.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know