Top Nepalese leaders increasingly engaging with China
Kathmandu: Nepali Congress president Sushil Koirala is set to visit China after Maoist chief Prachanda returned from his week-long trip to the country on Saturday, signifying an ever-increasing engagement between the two neighbours.
Chairman of UCPN-Maoist, Pushpa Kamal Dahal alias Prachanda received a red-carpet treatment during his personal visit to China, which concluded today, despite the fact that he does not hold any official position.
Prachanda met Chinese president Xi Jinping, among other senior political leaders and officials during his visit.
Chinese leadership is concerned that federalism would lead to disintegration of Nepal, Prachanda told `Republica Daily` in an interview during his China visit.
Koirala`s is to visit to China next month as head of the High Level Political Mechanism (HLPM), a body formed to advise and guide the election government headed by chief justice Khilraj Regmi, sources close to Nepali Congress said.
Yesterday, Chinese Ambassador to Nepal, Wu Chuntai expressed concern over Nepal`s ongoing political deadlock during his meeting with Koirala.
However, the Chinese envoy expressed hope that Nepal would be able to hold Constituent Assembly polls at the earliest, which would be instrumental in consolidating democratic achievements of 2006 Movement by drafting a new constitution, Koirala`s aid told a news agency.
Chnutai said that China would like to see Nepal attain lasting peace and stability and the constitution be drafted as soon as possible, he said.
Koirala assured the Chinese envoy that Nepali Congress is committed to hold elections at the earliest.
He told Chuntai that he would invite Mohan Vaidya, chairman of CPN-Maoist, the breakaway faction of the UCPN-Maoist, to the next HLPM meeting and ask them to participate in the forthcoming elections.
During the meeting the Chinese envoy also appreciated Nepal`s sticking to one-China policy and hoped to continue the same in future, Nepali Congress sources said.
The top leaders of four major political forces are supposed to lead the HLPM every month on rotational basis as per the agreement reached by the parties.
Prachanda had led the body from mid-March to Mid-April while Koirala is leading the body from Mid-April to Mid-May.
CPN-UML chairman Jhalanath Khanal, who will lead the body next month is also likely to visit China after Koirala returns.
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part IV
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?
- US economy expands 0.5% in Q1, slowest in two years
- MUST WATCH: What Indian Muslims said when they were asked to say 'Vande Matram', 'Bharat Mata ki Jai'
- Uber partners Gurugram Police in a bid to curb drunken driving
- IITs have been requested to offer Sanskrit as elective subject, confirms HRD Minister Smriti Irani
- Tribute to Shaktiman: Petrol pump in Dehradun to be named after police horse