Top Pakistani Taliban commander killed in tribal region
Peshawar: A top Pakistani Taliban
commander carrying a reward of Rs 20 million was killed in a
clash with security forces in the country`s northwest tribal
region of North Waziristan, a military spokesman said on Monday.
Commander Ameerullah Mehsud alias Langra Qari was
killed yesterday in a gun battle in Miranshah, a key town in
North Waziristan Agency.
Two security personnel were injured in the shootout.
Mehsud was a commander of the Tehrik-e-Taliban
Pakistan in Makeen and Razmak areas of North Waziristan.
He was involved in attacks on security forces,
kidnapping for ransom and other "anti-state activities", the
military spokesman said.
He was listed at 11 in a list of 19 most-wanted
Taliban commanders for whom the government had offered
combined rewards of five million dollars for information
leading to their capture, dead or alive.
Pakistan conducted a bloody campaign to flush out the
militant group out of their base in the South Waziristan
tribal region last year.
Many militants are believed to have escaped to North
Waziristan and other parts of the lawless tribal belt.
Pakistan military have stepped up the campaigns
against the TTP in much of the tribal belt, where the
government has little control.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- EgyptAir black box flight recorder has been repaired: Commission
- Osborne rules himself out of race to succeed PM Cameron: Report
- 'Subramanian Swamy will dent Modi's image, spook foreign investors'
- Hafiz Saeed's son-in-law masterminded terror attack on CRPF convoy in Pampore: Report
- Lionel Messi retirement: Argentine president, Diego Maradona ask him not to quit