Top Taliban commander captured in Karachi
Karachi: An operational head of the Tehreek-e
-Taliban Pakistan, who is on the most wanted list of
terrorists in the country, was captured from the outskirts of
this southern port city, police said on Thursday.
Acting on a tip-off from other arrested TTP men, police
arrested Irfan Khan from his hideout in Sohrab Goth near here
with a large cache of ammunition and explosives, Senior
Superintendent of Police (Special Investigation Unit) Umar
Khatab told reporters.
"He is in the five most wanted terrorists` list with big
head money and headed the Tehreek-e-Taliban (TTP) operations
in Shangla in the North West Frontier Province before fleeing
to Karachi," Khatab said.
"He is involved in terrorist activities and other crimes.
It is a big breakthrough for us in the fight against terror,"
he said adding, the arrested militant was running operations
from Karachi in the garb of running a goods carrier company.
The Karachi law enforcement and security agencies have
arrested a number of Taliban leaders and activists in the last
two months after launching a crackdown on militants in
different parts of the city.
Earlier this week, the police claimed to have arrested
TTP Karachi operations chief and some other key operatives.
The provincial home ministry has also launched a
crackdown on illegal immigrants in the city with over 500
rounded up in the last few days. It has published
advertisements in newspapers warning people not to rent out or
sell their houses to foreigners.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends