Top Taliban commander captured in Karachi
Karachi: An operational head of the Tehreek-e
-Taliban Pakistan, who is on the most wanted list of
terrorists in the country, was captured from the outskirts of
this southern port city, police said on Thursday.
Acting on a tip-off from other arrested TTP men, police
arrested Irfan Khan from his hideout in Sohrab Goth near here
with a large cache of ammunition and explosives, Senior
Superintendent of Police (Special Investigation Unit) Umar
Khatab told reporters.
"He is in the five most wanted terrorists` list with big
head money and headed the Tehreek-e-Taliban (TTP) operations
in Shangla in the North West Frontier Province before fleeing
to Karachi," Khatab said.
"He is involved in terrorist activities and other crimes.
It is a big breakthrough for us in the fight against terror,"
he said adding, the arrested militant was running operations
from Karachi in the garb of running a goods carrier company.
The Karachi law enforcement and security agencies have
arrested a number of Taliban leaders and activists in the last
two months after launching a crackdown on militants in
different parts of the city.
Earlier this week, the police claimed to have arrested
TTP Karachi operations chief and some other key operatives.
The provincial home ministry has also launched a
crackdown on illegal immigrants in the city with over 500
rounded up in the last few days. It has published
advertisements in newspapers warning people not to rent out or
sell their houses to foreigners.
- ‘Kaabil’ Hrithik Roshan’s first look out – Here it is
- Champions League: Real Madrid edge past Manchester City to set up all-Madrid final
- AgustaWestland chopper deal: ED to quiz former IAF chief SP Tyagi today
- Sushant Singh Rajput reveals why his ‘Pavitra Rishta’ with Ankita Lokhande ended
- IPL 2016: Shah Rukh Khan thinks his son AbRam could be a mystery fielder – Find out why