Top Taliban commander held in Karachi: Official
Karachi: Pakistani authorities Wednesday claimed to have arrested a top commander of the banned
terrorist outfit Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) in an early
morning raid in the country`s financial capital.
A senior official of the Crime Investigation
Department (CID) said commander Qari Yousuf was arrested from
Karachi`s Mominabad area of Orangi Town, which is believed to
be the largest concentration of slum dwelling in South Asia.
The official said that the arrest of Yousuf was a big
breakthrough in the drive against terrorism as he was involved
and named as an accused in the bombing of a police training
centre in Mingora, Swat last year.
The suicide bomb attack carried out by a 14-year-old
boy trained and masterminded by Qari and two others saw 17
police trainees killed.
Security had been on high alert in Karachi since bouts
of violence and target killings in the city last month.
The official said two other members of the TTP were
also arrested from Sohrab Goth area with explosives and arms.
On October 25, the CID had also raided a house in
Sohrab Goth where they arrested Sher Rehman and Zain Ullah
alias Bilal two activists of the TTP who were involved in
training suicide bombers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'