Top Taliban commander killed in Swat
Islamabad: Top Taliban commander Nisar
Ahmed, a close aide of slain militant chief Baitullah Mehsud,
and who was carrying a bounty of Rs one crore on his head was
killed today in a gun battle with security forces in Swat.
Ahmed alias Ghazi Baba was also a close associate of
fugitive Swat Taliban chief Maulana Fazlullah and was known as
an expert in making bombs, army officials said.
He was one of 15 top militant commanders for whom
authorities had offered rewards in May. His killings comes as
the army was on the brink of launching its biggest campaign by
storming Taliban stronghold of South Waziristan.
Army officials told reporters that Ahmed opened fire
at soldiers who surrounded his home in the Matta area of Swat
at 7.45 a.m. He was killed in retaliatory firing, they said.
The army conducted the raid on Ahmed`s home after receiving a
tip-off from an informant.
Ahmed was a member of the Taliban `shura` or decision-
making council in Swat. The area in which he was killed –
Matta, located 25 km northwest of Mingora, the main city in
Swat district – was one of the main Taliban strongholds till
the army launched operations against the militants in May.
Army officials described Ahmed`s death as a "major
success" and a "hard blow" to the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan.
Security forces also apprehended 10 militants during a
separate operation in Charbagh area of Swat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state