Top Taliban commanders hiding in Quetta: US
Islamabad: The United States has reiterated that top Afghan Taliban commanders, including Mullah Omar, are hiding in Quetta and creating trouble for the US led NATO forces in Afghanistan.
Deputy chief of the US mission in Pakistan, Gerald M Feierstein, said Washington has credible information that Mullah Omar is in Quetta and ‘freely moves across the border and some other major cities of Pakistan, including Karachi.’
“We are confident that Mullah Omar is in Quetta. We do believe that these people move around, but their locus of operation is Quetta,” The Daily Times quoted Feierstein, as saying.
Feierstein also pointed out that there were ‘individuals’ in Pakistan, who are sympathetic towards Taliban and support its activities.
Commenting on the Kerry-Lugar Bill, that has witnessed wide scale protests in Pakistan; he rejected the notion that the US has attached severe conditions to the USD 1.5 billion annual assistance.
“There is no condition attached to the Bill … there is nothing in the aid Bill that is against the declared policy of the government of Pakistan,” Feierstein said.
He clarified that the certification required in the Bill was a routine affair.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?