Top US general visits troops in Afghanistan
Marjah: The top US and NATO commander in Afghanistan crisscrossed the country on Saturday, making a Christmas visit to coalition troops at some of the main battle fronts in a show of appreciation and support in the tenth year of the war against the Taliban.
General David Petraeus started his visit by travelling in a C-130 cargo plane from the capital, Kabul, to the northern province of Kunduz, telling troops with the US Army`s 1-87, 10th Mountain Division that on this day, there was "no place that (he) would rather be than here" where the "focus of our effort" was.
The northern part of the country has seen increased fighting, with the Taliban stepping up their attacks as NATO focuses its sights on the militant movement`s southern strongholds. Petraeus was briefed on the situation in the region by German Major General Hans-Werner Fritz, the commander of NATO`s northern regional command.
In eastern Afghanistan, where NATO forces are focused on trying to prevent insurgents from slipping in from neighbouring Pakistan, one US platoon spent their Christmas as they do almost every other day — in a firefight with insurgents. Taliban on nearby hills opened fire twice during the day on their Combat Out Post Badel, sparking short gunbattles as the US soldiers returned fire. There were no American casualties. Badel and other such front-line posts come under similar attacks nearly daily.
Petraeus` visits on Saturday also took him to the region of one of the main NATO offensives in the south this year - the Taliban stronghold of Marjah in Helmand province, scene of some of the heaviest fighting recently with the Taliban.
He spoke to the Marines on the base, praising them for the improvements in the area, which still sees Taliban attacks.
"You are part of America`s new greatest generation. It is not just the courage that you have shown, it is not just the skills that you have shown in arms, although you have had to do that on a near daily basis in tough areas like this," he told the men and women of the 2nd Battalion, 6th Marine Unit. "It is the versatility that you demonstrate going outside the wire every day, being ready for a hand grenade or a handshake and knowing what to do if either of those comes your way."
Marjah has become a symbol of the problems facing NATO troops in Afghanistan. More than 7,000 US-led NATO ground troops launched a nighttime invasion of the region of farming hamlets last February to rout insurgents and cut off their income from the drug trade. NATO officials said the effort would pave the way for the Afghan government to move in aid and start delivering public services.
Marine Major General Richard Mills on December 07 declared that the battle in Marjah was "essentially over”. But the campaign took longer than NATO officials had hoped, and illustrated the complexity of trying to wrest control of an area where Taliban influence remained strong.
Efforts to create a civilian government in Marjah have been painfully slow, and US troops struggled against roadside bombs and sniper attacks from an enemy that could blend in with the local population.
Petraeus said, "We probably created expectations that were unduly high, and we worked through that."
Still, he said, the progress that was made in Marjah and in other areas helped pave the way for the unanimity achieved at a November NATO summit in Lisbon, where member states committed to Afghanistan until 2014.
If the situation Marjah had been the same as earlier in the year, Petraeus said, that unanimity would not have been there.
He said that when the campaign in Marjah began, it was "a headquarters for the Taliban”, a bomb-making centre and location for the illegal narcotics industry.
"Now of course it is flourishing," he said. Where once there was no school, there are now 1,200 attending classes.
It is not known when US troops could be withdrawn in significant numbers from Helmand as heavy fighting continues elsewhere in the area, including the Sangin district where Marines took over from British forces.
Before Marjah, Petraeus stopped in the western province of Farah, where the Italian Army`s 7th Alpini is stationed.
The US general`s visit coincided with one by General Vincenzo Camporini, the Italian chief of defence general staff. Petraeus congratulated the Italian soldiers on the "progress that has been achieved in the first few months that this unit has been here”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley