Traitor doctor can turn to higher courts: Gilani
Islamabad, May 28 (ANI): Pakistan Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani has fended off criticism over the conviction of Dr Shakil Afridi, who helped the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) track Osama Bin Laden in Abbottabad last year, saying he could defend himself in the higher courts under the country`s existing laws.
Gilani said although Dr Afridi`s actions were "wrongful", he should still hope for justice through normal courts, reports The Express Tribune.
Dr Afridi was sentenced to 33 years for treason, last week. He was sacked as a government doctor two months ago and was found guilty under the tribal justice system in Khyber district, part of Pakistan`s semi-autonomous tribal belt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly