Transgender allowed to contest election in Pakistan
Karachi: For the first time in Pakistan`s history, a transgender has been allowed to contest elections, with the country`s Election Commission accepting her nomination papers from a constituency in Karachi.
Initially the Election Commission had rejected the nomination papers of Bindiya Rana when her supporter failed to show up at the ECP office at the time of filing of papers.
But after filing an appeal, Bindiya has finally got the go ahead to contest the elections.
Bindiya said she wants to highlight the plight of transgenders in Pakistan. "I have never really cared about the politics in the country. But now I feel the time has come for us common people to also stand up and contest the elections to break this mafia of land owners, businessmen and professional politicians," she said.
Bindiya who works for the Gender Interactive Alliance of Pakistan said another reason for her deciding to joining politics was the tragic death of a friend.
"In 2004 a member of our community died and our elders arranged for her body to be sent to her hometown in Punjab which I accompanied. I was shocked at the callous behavior of the authorities including those at the airport and the police who made fun of my friend and me and asked me how she died and doing what."
Another transgender Veeru Kohli also wants to contest in the May 11 election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof