Tribal leader killed in Pak`s Khyber region
Islamabad: A prominent tribal leader was
today shot dead by unidentified gunmen in Pakistan`s restive
north-western Khyber tribal region while the bodies of five
suspected militants were found by security forces in a nearby
Tribal leader Ibrahim Kukikhel, a potential candidate for
upcoming polls to a parliamentary seat, was killed by the
gunmen in Jamrud area of Khyber.
This was the second attack targeting an elder in the
troubled tribal belt since yesterday.
Muhammad Akbar, chief of a pro-government "peace
committee" in the troubled Mohmand agency, and one of his
bodyguard died in a roadside bomb attack yesterday. Seven
other members of the peace committee were injured.
The government has backed such committees in the tribal
belt to take on Taliban militants.
Meanwhile, the bodies of five suspected militants were
found in Darra Adam Khel region in the northwest while an
explosives-laden vehicle was seized in Bara area of Khyber
Agency, local officials said.
Security forces also arrested 22 suspects during a search
operation in Mohmand agency today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation