Trilateral group on safe passage for militants meets in Pak
Islamabad: A special group set up to work out modalities for safe passage for militants participating in any reconciliation process in Afghanistan held its inaugural meeting in the Pakistani capital on Wednesday.
The Safe Passage Working Group`s meeting was held at the Foreign Ministry in Islamabad, said a brief statement from the Foreign Office spokesman.
The trilateral core group of Pakistan, Afghanistan and the US had agreed to establish the Working Group during its meeting in Islamabad on April 7.
"Delegations from Kabul, Washington and Islamabad participated in today`s meeting and agreed to continue further discussions aimed at promoting peace and reconciliation in Afghanistan," the statement said without giving details. The US has asked Pakistan to help in bringing Afghan militant groups to the negotiating table to help end the decade-old conflict in Afghanistan.
Several key militant groups, including the Haqqani network and the `shura` (council) of the Afghan Taliban, are based in Pakistani territory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- My mother is like Indrani Mukerjea, she likes having sex with many men: Delhi school boy
- Sheena Bora case: This is how Indrani Mukerjea got idea to plot a 'perfect murder'