Trilateral group on safe passage for militants meets in Pak
Islamabad: A special group set up to work out modalities for safe passage for militants participating in any reconciliation process in Afghanistan held its inaugural meeting in the Pakistani capital on Wednesday.
The Safe Passage Working Group`s meeting was held at the Foreign Ministry in Islamabad, said a brief statement from the Foreign Office spokesman.
The trilateral core group of Pakistan, Afghanistan and the US had agreed to establish the Working Group during its meeting in Islamabad on April 7.
"Delegations from Kabul, Washington and Islamabad participated in today`s meeting and agreed to continue further discussions aimed at promoting peace and reconciliation in Afghanistan," the statement said without giving details. The US has asked Pakistan to help in bringing Afghan militant groups to the negotiating table to help end the decade-old conflict in Afghanistan.
Several key militant groups, including the Haqqani network and the `shura` (council) of the Afghan Taliban, are based in Pakistani territory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read