Triple suicide bombings kill 18 in Afghanistan
Kabul: Three suicide bombings rocked three places in Afghanistan, including the capital Kabul, killing at least 18 people, including eight South Africans and three attackers.
The other attacks took place in Gereshk district in the southern Helmand province, a former stronghold of the Taliban, and in the eastern Kunar province, Xinhua reported.
In the first attack at 6.45 am in the fortified capital city, at least 12 people including eight South African nationals were killed, when a suicide bomber rammed his explosives-laden vehicle into a bus carrying foreign staffers of a local company.
In Gereshk, two people, including an Afghan soldier, were killed and five other soldiers were injured.
A terrorist driving an explosives-packed car blew himself up near a military base in Haiderabad area of Gereshk district at 4.30 p.m., an army officer said.
In Kunar`s Watapor district, a man with an explosive device strapped to his body blew himself up near an under-construction bridge, where several people were gathered.
One civilian was killed and two others were injured.
In a statement released by his office, Afghan President Hamid Karzai blamed the "enemies of peace" for the attacks.
"The enemies of peace and stability are behind the coward terrorist attacks in Kabul this morning that killed 12 people including eight South African nationals, one from Kirghizstan and three civilians," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened