TTP links release of former VC to Fazlullah`s father-in-law
Islamabad: The Pakistani Taliban on Sunday said it is ready to swap former Vice-Chancellor of a university kidnapped in 2010 for the arrested father-in-law of new Pakistani Taliban chief Mullah Fazlullah.
The banned Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakista (TTP) said the release of Professor Ajmal Khan, former VC, Islamia College University, Peshawar was linked to that of the chief of the banned Tehrik Nifaz-i-Shariat-i-Muhammadi (TNSM), Maulana Sufi Muhammad.
Khan was kidnapped on September 7, 2010 along with his driver at gunpoint from Professor Colony in University of Peshawar. His driver was released last year.
The announcement came as one of the first developments to have taken place after hardline commander Mullah Fazlullah took charge of the outlawed outfit vowing revenge for the killing of the group`s leader Hakimullah Mehsud in a US drone strike on November 1.
Muhammad is the father-in-law of Fazlullah, the former Taliban commander from Swat Valley.
Muhammad was arrested in 2009 and was tried for various cases related to conspiring against the state, attempting murder, rioting and stopping government employees from performing their duties.
Known for his ruthlessness, Fazlullah ordered the assassination of teenage activist Malala Yusufzai and was nicknamed "Mullah Radio" for his fiery sermons on an illegal FM station while heading a parallel administration in Swat Valley, 160 km from Islamabad, during 2007-09.
Under his command, the Taliban enforced a harsh form of Shariah or Islamic law, public executions, floggings and the bombing of girls` schools.
When the Pakistan Army sent troops into Swat to flush out the militants in early 2009, Fazlullah fled with hundreds of his fighters to Afghanistan from where he ordered the attempt on the life of Malala last year.
Fazlullah rose to prominence as a leader of the banned TNSM, which merged with the TTP in 2007 following the military crackdown on extremists holed up in Lal Masjid in Islamabad.
Earlier this year, the Taliban released a video to claim the killing of Maj Gen Sanaullah Khan Niazi in a roadside bombing which showed Fazlullah celebrating the success of the attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'