TULF leader joins main Tamil party as show of unity in Lanka
Colombo: A strong critic of the LTTE and a member of the moderate TULF party in Sri Lanka on Tuesday joined the main Tamil party TNA for the upcoming northern provincial elections to be held in September.
Veerasingham Anandasangaree, also a critic of the TNA said he would contest the upcoming northern election under the Tamil National Alliance banner.
"It is important to forget the differences and show unity," said Anandasangaree.
The veteran Tamil politician had earlier opposed the selection of top judge CV Wigneswaran as the TNA`s chief ministerial aspirant.
Commenting on his opposition to Wigneswaran, Anandasangaree said the issues faced by Tamil people were much greater than any question about individuals.
The Tamil United Liberation Front (TULF) leader remained a bitter critic of the LTTE during the government`s military campaign against the LTTE.
The LTTE threats on him forced the government to provide him with special commando protection during the military campaign.
Anandasangaree refused to let his party become a part of the TNA after they were branded proxies of the LTTE.
Analysts said the entry of high profile characters such as Wigneswaran and Anandasangaree indicated the national level importance attached by the TNA towards the northern election which is of a provoncial nature.
The election has come under international focus with governments including India treating it a major reconcilaition effort by the Colombo administration with the Tamil minority.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- DNA: Dr Subhash Chandra show on importance of 'Social media networking'
- England vs Pakistan: 2nd Test, Day 2 — As it happened...
- Erdogan says EU `biased and prejudiced` towards Turkey after coup bid
- Jailed Venezuelan opposition leader appeals sentence
- Cambodia blocking ASEAN consensus on South China Sea: Diplomat
- Turkey can hold suspects without charge for up to 30 days