TV journo shot dead in Pakistan
Islamabad: A reporter of a TV news channel was shot and killed by unidentified gunmen in the restive Balochistan province of southwest Pakistan on Sunday, police said.
Rehmatullah Abid, a reporter for Dunya News, was sitting at a barber`s shop in Washbood area of Panjgur district when two gunmen riding a motorcycle fired at him this afternoon.
Abid succumbed to his injuries while being taken to hospital. Law enforcement personnel cordoned off the area but were unable to trace the attackers.
Abid`s body was handed over to his relatives after an autopsy.
Balochistan Chief Minister Aslam Raisani directed authorities to arrest the killers as soon as possible.
The murder was condemned by Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf, Quetta Press Club president Saleem Shahid and Balochistan Union of Journalists president Eisa Tareen.
Reporters` organisations urged the government to provide protection to journalists.
Abid had earlier worked as a part-time correspondent for the state-run APP news agency in Panjgur district.
No group claimed responsibility for the killing.
In September, a reporter of the ARY News channel was shot dead by unidentified gunmen in Khuzdar city of Balochistan province.
Another employee of ARY News was killed in Peshawar city in the northwest during violent protests against an anti-Islam film the same month.
Statistics compiled by the Committee to Protect Journalists earlier this year showed that over 40 journalists had been killed in Pakistan since 1992.
UNESCO has ranked Pakistan country as the world?s second most dangerous country for reporters after Mexico.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues