TV journo shot dead in Pakistan
Islamabad: A reporter of a TV news channel was shot and killed by unidentified gunmen in the restive Balochistan province of southwest Pakistan on Sunday, police said.
Rehmatullah Abid, a reporter for Dunya News, was sitting at a barber`s shop in Washbood area of Panjgur district when two gunmen riding a motorcycle fired at him this afternoon.
Abid succumbed to his injuries while being taken to hospital. Law enforcement personnel cordoned off the area but were unable to trace the attackers.
Abid`s body was handed over to his relatives after an autopsy.
Balochistan Chief Minister Aslam Raisani directed authorities to arrest the killers as soon as possible.
The murder was condemned by Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf, Quetta Press Club president Saleem Shahid and Balochistan Union of Journalists president Eisa Tareen.
Reporters` organisations urged the government to provide protection to journalists.
Abid had earlier worked as a part-time correspondent for the state-run APP news agency in Panjgur district.
No group claimed responsibility for the killing.
In September, a reporter of the ARY News channel was shot dead by unidentified gunmen in Khuzdar city of Balochistan province.
Another employee of ARY News was killed in Peshawar city in the northwest during violent protests against an anti-Islam film the same month.
Statistics compiled by the Committee to Protect Journalists earlier this year showed that over 40 journalists had been killed in Pakistan since 1992.
UNESCO has ranked Pakistan country as the world?s second most dangerous country for reporters after Mexico.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown