Twin bombs kill one, wound 9 at Afghan checkpoint
Kabul: An Afghan official says two bombs have exploded at a checkpoint outside a provincial governor`s compound in the country`s east, killing at least one police officer. Nine people have been wounded in the blasts.
The explosions struck early today in Jalalabad, the capital of Nangarhar province. The first bomb wounded a policeman.
The second was remotely detonated minutes later as police swarmed to the scene to secure it. It killed one police officer and wounded five policemen and three civilians.
The governor`s spokesman, Ahmad Zia Abdulzai, says authorities are investigating how insurgents were able to plant the bombs despite heavy security near the governor`s compound.
Taliban militants have been ramping up attacks on government forces lately, seeking to destabilise Afghanistan as more foreign troops prepare to withdraw.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter