Twin bombs kill one, wound 9 at Afghan checkpoint
Kabul: An Afghan official says two bombs have exploded at a checkpoint outside a provincial governor`s compound in the country`s east, killing at least one police officer. Nine people have been wounded in the blasts.
The explosions struck early today in Jalalabad, the capital of Nangarhar province. The first bomb wounded a policeman.
The second was remotely detonated minutes later as police swarmed to the scene to secure it. It killed one police officer and wounded five policemen and three civilians.
The governor`s spokesman, Ahmad Zia Abdulzai, says authorities are investigating how insurgents were able to plant the bombs despite heavy security near the governor`s compound.
Taliban militants have been ramping up attacks on government forces lately, seeking to destabilise Afghanistan as more foreign troops prepare to withdraw.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh