Two Afghan police die, NATO chopper crashes in east
Kabul: Two people were killed when militants
ambushed an Afghan police vehicle on Saturday and a coalition
helicopter crashed in eastern Afghanistan with no fatalities,
NATO and Afghan officials said.
The Afghan Ministry of Interior said insurgents attacked
the policemen in Dara Nur district in the northern tip of
Nangarhar province. Two others were wounded in the attack, the
Fighting has escalated in eastern Afghanistan as Afghan
and coalition forces step up their attacks on insurgents along
the Pakistan border and militants retaliate with attacks on
pro-government forces and Afghan officials.
A suicide attacker on foot detonated his vest packed with
explosives yesterday afternoon at the entrance to a building
used by education officials in Jayi Maydan district of Khost
province, said Abdul Hakim Ishaqzai, police chief in the
The bomber died in the attack and four people were
wounded, including the district education director and a local
principal, he said.
The coalition helicopter crashed this morning in Alasay
district of Kapisa province, northeast of Kabul.
No further details have been disclosed about the crash,
which is under investigation.
Aziz Rahman Tawab, acting provincial governor in Kapisa
province, said the helicopter crashed into the side of a
In September 2010, nine American troops were killed in a
helicopter crash in a rugged area of Zabul province in
Also in the east, the Afghan Defense Ministry said today
that eight insurgents were killed and eight others were
wounded in a gunbattle with Afghan forces yesterday in the
Pech Valley area of eastern Kunar province, which borders
In the south, the Afghan National Police yesterday
arrested six armed insurgents driving a police military
vehicle in Lashkar Gah, the provincial capital of Helmand
province, the governor`s office said.
Three of the insurgents were wearing police uniforms, a
statement from the governor`s office today said.
Since March 2009, the coalition has recorded 20 incidents
where a member of the Afghan security forces or someone
wearing one of their uniforms killed coalition forces.
The coalition says 10 of the 20 incidents involved the
impersonation of an Afghan policeman or soldier; the cause of
the other 10 incidents were attributed to combat stress or
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- DNA: Is Sanskrit language losing its importance in India?
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand