Two arrested for setting garments factory on fire in Bangladesh
Dhaka: Bangladesh police on Monday arrested two factory employees, including a woman, for allegedly setting on fire a readymade garments unit, a day after another inferno killed 112 workers of a nearby textile unit.
Two employees of Debonair factory in Ashulia area of suburban Savar identified as Sumi Begum and Zakir Hussain set ablaze the stockpiled cotton yesterday, but other employees doused the blaze before it could to other parts of the garment unit, a senior police official told PTI.
"We arrested them ... They tried to set ablaze the Debonair Factory near the Tazrin Fashion, where 112 employees were killed in a major fire incident," the official said.
They were arrested with the help of CCTV footage, which showed the woman setting ablaze the stockpiled cotton, Dhaka district Police Superintendent Habibur Rahman said.
Sumi, on the instigation of Hossain, set the factory on fire, he said.
The duo was later produced before the Chief Judicial Magistrate Court in Dhaka, who ordered Hosssain to be remanded in custody for four days for interrogation and sent the woman to jail to face charge.
"A woman worker of the factory admitted before a (judicial) magistrate that she set on fire the unit as instigated by a floor In-charge of Debonair factory," a court official said.
The court official, preferring anonymity, said senior judicial magistrate Wasim Sheikh recorded the confessional statement of Sumi under section 164 of the Criminal Procedure Code.
Police said Sumi was arrested first and in line with her initial statement Hossain was nabbed.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged