Two arrested for setting garments factory on fire in Bangladesh
Dhaka: Bangladesh police on Monday arrested two factory employees, including a woman, for allegedly setting on fire a readymade garments unit, a day after another inferno killed 112 workers of a nearby textile unit.
Two employees of Debonair factory in Ashulia area of suburban Savar identified as Sumi Begum and Zakir Hussain set ablaze the stockpiled cotton yesterday, but other employees doused the blaze before it could to other parts of the garment unit, a senior police official told PTI.
"We arrested them ... They tried to set ablaze the Debonair Factory near the Tazrin Fashion, where 112 employees were killed in a major fire incident," the official said.
They were arrested with the help of CCTV footage, which showed the woman setting ablaze the stockpiled cotton, Dhaka district Police Superintendent Habibur Rahman said.
Sumi, on the instigation of Hossain, set the factory on fire, he said.
The duo was later produced before the Chief Judicial Magistrate Court in Dhaka, who ordered Hosssain to be remanded in custody for four days for interrogation and sent the woman to jail to face charge.
"A woman worker of the factory admitted before a (judicial) magistrate that she set on fire the unit as instigated by a floor In-charge of Debonair factory," a court official said.
The court official, preferring anonymity, said senior judicial magistrate Wasim Sheikh recorded the confessional statement of Sumi under section 164 of the Criminal Procedure Code.
Police said Sumi was arrested first and in line with her initial statement Hossain was nabbed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Osama bin Laden is alive, staying in Bahamas, claims Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter