Two arrested for setting garments factory on fire in Bangladesh
Dhaka: Bangladesh police on Monday arrested two factory employees, including a woman, for allegedly setting on fire a readymade garments unit, a day after another inferno killed 112 workers of a nearby textile unit.
Two employees of Debonair factory in Ashulia area of suburban Savar identified as Sumi Begum and Zakir Hussain set ablaze the stockpiled cotton yesterday, but other employees doused the blaze before it could to other parts of the garment unit, a senior police official told PTI.
"We arrested them ... They tried to set ablaze the Debonair Factory near the Tazrin Fashion, where 112 employees were killed in a major fire incident," the official said.
They were arrested with the help of CCTV footage, which showed the woman setting ablaze the stockpiled cotton, Dhaka district Police Superintendent Habibur Rahman said.
Sumi, on the instigation of Hossain, set the factory on fire, he said.
The duo was later produced before the Chief Judicial Magistrate Court in Dhaka, who ordered Hosssain to be remanded in custody for four days for interrogation and sent the woman to jail to face charge.
"A woman worker of the factory admitted before a (judicial) magistrate that she set on fire the unit as instigated by a floor In-charge of Debonair factory," a court official said.
The court official, preferring anonymity, said senior judicial magistrate Wasim Sheikh recorded the confessional statement of Sumi under section 164 of the Criminal Procedure Code.
Police said Sumi was arrested first and in line with her initial statement Hossain was nabbed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!