Two bomb attacks kill 34 in northwest Pakistan
Islamabad: A total of 34 people were killed and dozens more injured in two bomb attacks in the restive northwest Pakistan on Sunday, with militants targeting a crowded market and a police van.
A powerful car bomb went off in a market at Landi Kotal town in the restive Khyber tribal region, killing at least 27 people, including three children, and injuring nearly 60 others.
Officials at a local hospital said they had received 18 bodies while nine persons died while being taken to Peshawar, the capital of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province.
The children who died were aged between nine and 12 years, officials said.
They said 57 people were injured and several of them were in a serious condition.
The bomb was hidden in a pick-up truck that was parked in the market. About five kilogrammes of explosives were used in the attack.
The blast targeted members of the pro-government Zakakhel tribe, who had formed a militia to take on local militants. Twelve shops and 10 cars were destroyed by the blast.
Gas cylinders stored in a shop blew up, triggering a fire.
Police and security forces cordoned off the site and launched a search operation.
No group claimed responsibility for the attack.
The banned Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan and the Lashkar-e-Islam are active in Khyber Agency.
In a separate incident, a police van was targeted with a bomb hidden in a cart in Kohat town of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province tonight.
Seven persons, including four policemen, were killed and eight others injured, officials said.
The bomb was triggered by remote control as the van was passing by. The blast damaged another car. A child was among the dead.
The Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan claimed responsibility for the attack.
In yet another incident, the bomb disposal squad foiled a terrorist attack by defusing a bomb at Kohat Road in Peshawar.
The bomb was hidden in a pressure cooker that was left on the roadside, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo