Two held as Hasina charges father`s killers of terror links
Dhaka: Two people have been arrested as Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina accused killers of her father, Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, of organising a bomb attack on a lawmaker.
Mehnaz Rahman, who was detained on Saturday, is the eldest daughter of Lt Col Khondkar Abdur Rashid, a fugitive condemned to death in the August 1975 killing of the country`s founding father. She said that her father is living in Libya with the rest of the family.
Mehnaz told investigators that her father received funds from Khaleda Zia`s husband General Ziaur Rahman, later president of Bangladesh, The Daily Star said.
She has been running the Freedom Party that her father set up with other officers who have publicly acknowledged their role in the killing of Sheikh Mujib.
Police officials said Mehnaz contested the parliamentary polls in 2001 and 2008 on Freedom Party ticket, but lost.
Also arrested earlier Thursday was Kamrul Haque Swapan, younger brother of Major (Retd) Shariful Haq Dalim.
Dalim was the officer who had announced the killing of Sheikh Mujib, a score of his family members and political associates in a military-led putsch August 15, 1975.
Both Dalim and Rashid had been holed up abroad since their trial began in 1996. They have since been convicted in absentia and sentenced to death.
Mehnaz and Swapan were detained for their suspected links to Wednesday`s bomb attack on lawyer-lawmaker Fazle Noor Taposh, the Daily Star said on Sunday.
Taposh, whose parents were bludgeoned to death during the 1975 killings, is a nephew of the prime minister.
The arrests and their linking with the attack on Taposh give a new twist to the ongoing trial of Sheikh Mujib`s killers that entered the 15th day Sunday.
Hasina, who is in Stockholm, Sweden, to attend the global climate change conference, told a gathering of Bangladeshi expatriates Friday that whoever the attackers, "they would be identified through fair investigation and brought to book immediately", United News of Bangladesh (UNB) news agency said.
"When Taposh was only three-years old, his father and mother were brutally killed by the defeated force in 1975. Taposh, after years of hard work, established himself as a barrister. But the evil force is again out to kill him," Hasina said. "What is the guilt of a kid like Taposh?"
With the arrest of Mehnaz, Dhaka police have so far detained three leaders of Freedom Party in connection with the attempt on the life of Taposh.
The investigators, however, declined to say what exactly the charges against the three are.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day