Two India floods survivors killed in Nepal landslide
Kathmandu: Two Nepalese migrant workers who survived recent floods in north India were killed when a landslide triggered by heavy rains buried their hotel in a remote village in Nepal, local police said on Friday.
The two men, who were in their forties stopped at a hotel in northwestern Nepal en route to their home in Kalikot district when it was smashed by a landslide Thursday night, Sher Bahadur Thapa, a local police official told.
"Others escaped while the two (men) who shared a room on the second floor were trapped inside and buried under the debris," Thapa said.
He said that another man who was also trapped with them was able to escape with minor injuries.
The men, who worked as palanquin bearers for Hindu pilgrims visiting shrines in northern India, were returning home after surviving deadly floods caused by early, heavy rains earlier this month, Thapa said.
They were rescued by Indian soldiers after being stranded in Kedarnath, among the worst-hit areas.
After yesterday`s deaths, the toll from landslides and floods has reached 41 in Nepal, where the government has declared fourteen out of the country`s 75 districts disaster-hit.
Hundreds of people die every year from flooding and landslides during the monsoon season in the Himalayan nation.
Across the border in India, landslides and flash floods left more than a thousand dead and tens of thousands more people stranded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested