Two indicted in Bangladesh over 1971 war crime
Dhaka: Two leaders of the notorious militia `Al Badr` were indicted in absentia by a Bangladeshi war crimes tribunal on Monday for the alleged massacre of 19 Bengali intellectuals during the country`s liberation war in 1971.
Chowdhury Mueen-Uddin and Ashrafuzzaman Khan, who are currently abroad, have been charged on 11 counts related to the massacre.
Khan is believed to be currently living in New York and Mueen-Uddin in London.
`Al Badr` was tasked by the Pakistani military junta with extermination of the Bengali intellengsia they saw as the `brain` behind the uprising.
Up to three million people were killed in the liberation war, according to official record.
The International Crimes Tribunal-2 also set July 15 for opening statement in the case and examination of prosecution witnessess, The Daily Star newspaper reported.
The three-member tribunal led by Justice Obaidul Hassan asked the state appointed defence counsels to submit a list of defence witness and other documents if they have any by the date.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM