Two key Taliban commanders arrested in Karachi
Karachi: Two key Taliban commanders of the
Mullah Fazlullah group, involved in a number of attacks in the
north-western Swat district, have been arrested here, as
security agencies continue their swoop on extremists.
A senior police official said the CID had arrested
Taliban commanders, Sardar Shah and Mohammad Sahir from the
Sohrab Goth area on the outskirts of Karachi.
"Both are from Swat and Mingora and belong to the Maulana
Fazlullah group and are aides of commander Ahsanullah," he
The official said that the arrest of the two commanders
who are involved in attacking military posts in Swat would
help in tracking down the elusive Taliban leader Maulana
Intelligence agencies and police have in the past seven
weeks claimed the arrest of some top Taliban commanders, the
most prominent among them being Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar,
the second-in-command of the Afghan Taliban.
Other Taliban commanders nabbed include a spokesman of
Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar and a former aide of slain
Pak Taliban leader Baitullah Mehsud identified as Mullah
Tayyab Agha alias Popalzai and Hakeemuddin Mehsud.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez